2020/21 Trends Forecast Report
Shifting Sands Forecast: Trends Shaping the Food & Beverage Industry in 2020/21
A Culinary Tides, Inc. report with contributions from Menu Matters
Release Date: March 25th, 2020
Only available until August 1st, 2020
2020/21 predictions explore:
- Government– cybersecurity, plant proteins, obesity, cannabis, GMO
- Technology – narrowcasting, order, delivery, GMO, robotics, packaging, cellular agriculture
- Health– microbiome, active aging, protein plus, nootropics, lifestyle diets, cannabis
- Consumers – clockless eating, transparency, invisibly healthy, path to purchase, Climatarian
- Travel –digital detox, climate neutral, dark travel, cross-generational, self-care, second cities
- Beverage – infused ice, zero proof, seasonal, plant milk, fermented, sour beer, florals, functional, tea/coffee-infused, and regional global
- Flavor & Cuisine – micro ethnic, plant-based, pickled, alternative flours, wild game, cannabis, foodceuticals, fruit and vegetable wallflowers
As part of our ongoing work, we have been tracking the political and economic unease here and abroad, well before the onset of COVID-19. What the spread of COVID-19 has caused, is an amplification and acceleration of the Tide that was already rolling in. It’s no less significant for its abruptness and shock value, but pandemics can have the effect of shaping and altering the trajectory of already identified trends.
It can be difficult to know which trends are most likely to rise above the noise over the next 12 months as the situation is still very much in flux. It can be even more confusing trying to decide which will resonate most with your brand and customers. This report’s forecasts offer insight into how and why the current climate will affect trends for 2020/21. We help you navigate, trend by trend, what to expect during the immediacy of this crisis and what the long-term effects could be in shaping the future of these trends. Understanding that a trend is coming is only valuable if you know how to strategically leverage it.
This report is a cross-analysis of 214 prediction lists for 2020 put forth by 162 industry experts. In all, more than 1,700 individual predictions were evaluated for their potential during the coming year, however, only well-supported predictions were included in the final report. All trends in the report are anticipated to remain in focus throughout 2020 and into the first quarter of 2021.
The trends are broken down by macro and micro families, which help to establish their strengths and links to other existing trends.
Strategic analysis accompanies the forecast to reveal pathways for creating approaches and products which align with consumers. This help to translate an array of fragmented trend lists, into actionable strategic intelligence.
Discover Navigation charts with “Ah-Ha Moments” you can use to navigate trends affecting your playground. The trends are broken down by macro and micro families, which help to establish their strengths and links to other existing trends.
Knowing which trends best fit your brand, which will resonate most with customers, and how long they will they stick around can clear a path for meaningful innovation. Understanding how these trends came to be and what is pushing them into the spotlight can help move you to a calmer, more confident position for strategy development.
The 2020 was created in partnership between:
Maeve Webster, MenuMatters.com
Suzy Badaracco, CulinaryTides.com
This report reveals drivers for food industry trends through 2020/21:
- Food Safety
- Virtual Safety
- Food & Beverage Preparation
- Social – Connectedness
- Cognitive Function
- Control, Safety, & Security
- South America
- Central America
- North America
- Middle East
- Themed Travel
- Experiential Travel
- Setting & Experiences
- Wine Regions
- Wine Styles & Varietals
- Cocktails & Spirits
- Beer, Cider, & Hard Soda
- Meal Types & Setting
- Foods & Flavors
- Regional Cuisines & Factions
The 2020/21 Report in the Media
Discover Navigation charts with “Ah-Ha Moments” you can use to navigate trends affecting your playground. Here are a few articles revealing a sneak peek into its contents:
- Trends Shaping the Food Industry in 2020/2021 (preparedfoods.com)
- Infected Trends – Suzy Badaracco [podcast] (farmtotabletalk.com)
- Culinary Tides to release trends forecast report (supermarketperimeter.com)
- How is coronavirus impacting plant-based meat? Impossible Foods, Lightlife, Tofurky, Meatless Farm Co, Dr. Praeger’s, weigh in (foodnavigator-usa.com)
- Asian flavors get region-specific (foodbusinessnews.com)
- 2020 Was Going To Be The Year Of The Sober-Curious Movement. Now What? (huffpost.com)
- Crafting a New Route for Artisan Foods (winsightgrocerybusiness.com)
- more coming soon
What you get:
- Report PDF
- Executive summary
- Navigation charts
- Link diagrams
- Macro and micro trend tables
- PowerPoint Presentation
- Report utilization phone support for 2 months following purchase
We have created 3 free PDFs with trends pulled from the report, click the button for access.